Time to put down the UNO and head for the gate guys!
Today we visited Tegenungan waterfall, in Ubud. It was about an hour and a half away from our hotel but it was so worth it. We dined at a restaurant overlooking the entirety of the waterfall, the view was stunning. The food we ate was also incredible. We took heaps of amazing photos and were all stunned as we left from the beauty of the site.
(Emma and Tara)
Today the Bali gang visited hidden canyons located in Sukawati. We all had a thrilling adventure through the slippery slopes and rocks with guided help from the lovely tour instructors. The view was breathtaking and we were all in awe of the natural beauty of Bali. Some of the members took turns riding a swing, hanging by rope attached to vines located above us. This swing added to the spectacular experience that was today, which was ended by a nice calming walk back through rice fields. (Rachael, Maya and Aimee)
Yesterday we explored Single Fin Bay which is a common tourist place for surfers with a ‘single-fin’ surfboards. We reached the main beach after many staircases to see the beautiful reefs and picturesque views. We stayed until the beginning of sunset with all of us walking along the beach or going for a relaxing swim. (Hayley Barram)
Not long to go. The countdown is in hours now!
We have a check-in baggage allowance of 25 kg and the website says 7kg for carry-on luggage.
See you tomorrow morning bright and early!
Thank you for coming to the meeting yesterday. Only 10 days to go! Here is a quick summary of some of the things we talked about.
- Airport Departure– Monday 8 July Malindo flight OD9105 at 8:30am. Please meet inside Terminal One near the check-in desk at 6:30am. Wear your tour shirts. Make sure all sharp objects and liquids are in checked-in luggage not hand luggage. Have a good lock on your checked-in luggage. Don’t forget your passport. We have your tickets.
2. Appropriate Dress for Indonesia – please wear culturally appropriate attire – covered shoulders, covered mid-section and longer shorts that sit close to the knees or below. Swim wear should include a rashie top and boardshorts (sun smart and culturally appropriate) – not a bikini. Please see the packing list for more details.
3. Money for snacks and souvenirs (optional). You might like to buy a Bali Life t-shirt and some handmade items from the Women’s Workshop. Breakfast, lunch and dinner all provided. Drinking water provided.
4. Mobile Phones – ask teachers if it is ok to use your phone to take photos. You can use the hotel wifi to call home in the evening or share photos online with family and friends. If you want to organise your own sim card to be able to make calls and use data in Indonesia, that is up to you. Last year, many students found the hotel wifi to be sufficient and didn’t need to do that.
5. Contact Staff (in case of emergency) – 0438 605 188 – school phone in Bali.
6. Activity Groups –
It is good to have at least 3 activities per pair planned. Try to come up with something active, something that requires concentration and something creative. Ideas could include: picture book storytelling, craft, paper planes, origami, playdoh, sport – soccer, an aerobics class, dancing, lego, dot-to-dots, mazes, bingo, games like ‘duck duck goose’ or ‘dog and bone’ that are easy to set up and run.
7. Bus Groups –
Group A – With Mr Drake – Brooke, Kristin, Naomi, Georgia, Ryan & Caleb
Group B – With Ms Tinney – Rachael, Emma, Tara, Maya, Aimee, Hayley and Taylor
Mrs Ryan will take turns accompanying each group.
You can check on the itinerary to see which places you will be going to for Session 1 and Session 2 of service learning. Session 3 groupings can be something we decide after we have experienced Session 1 and Session 2. Session 3 will be a chance to go back to either the Rubbish Tip Community Centre or the Street Centre / Women’s Workshop.
8. iPads – we have 10 iPads to distribute among the 13 of you to take to Bali. If you are given one. Please pack it in your checked-in luggage. Thank you.
9. Return to Perth – as per the Itinerary –
Depart Denpasar OD9104 at 8:40pm
Arrive Perth at midnight (0020 on 17/7/19) – very late on Tuesday night or very early early on Wednesday morning.
Please email through any questions you have. Our next post will be a photo of us departing from Perth!
Less than 40 days until we fly to Bali, folks! The count down is on.
Remember we are meeting as a team on Wednesday 26 June at the Community Room at Duncraig at 3:40pm. All students MUST attend this meeting.
Have you prepared a devotion to do while we are on tour? (You can use one you presented to your homeroom)
Are your 3 activities for the children you have planned ready to go? Do you have everything you need all organised?
Please click on the links below to check out our itinerary and the packing list. Exciting!