Plastic Free July kicks off for its tenth year in just under two weeks, and we’re popping into your inbox today to help you prepare. Now we know that for many, this Plastic Free July is going to be a little (or a lot!) more challenging than it has been in previous years, due to the various Covid-19 restrictions in place. This is your reminder that no-one (least of all us!) is expecting you to be perfect.
All we ever ask of you is that you do what you can.
And remember, it wouldn’t be called the Plastic Free July challenge if it was easy!
So yes, it’s going to be a challenge, and we’re going to help you as much as we can.
- Start looking in your fridge, pantry and bathroom, and in your general waste and recycling bins, and see what plastic you notice. Choose one, two or three things that you want to try to swap out, and start looking for alternatives NOW (it will be easier than waiting until July!)
- Don’t forget to complete our ‘Pesky Plastic’ quiz! We created it to get you thinking about where all the plastic is in your life.
- Get together a ‘plastic-free kit’ for your handbag, bike or car. You could include a water bottle, some napkins, reusable cutlery, reusable shopping bags – whatever it is you think you’ll need!
- Start the conversation with friends, family, colleagues (the person at the coffee shop, the person at the supermarket checkout…). If you’re shy, you can use our Plastic Free July 2020 image (pictured here) as a Facebook profile picture or Instagram tile to share on social media, and we’ve created a Plastic Free July email signature if you’d like to quietly slide into people’s inboxes 😉
THINGS TO READ
Brand new for 2020… we have started a blog! We’ll be updating it throughout June and July (and beyond!).
Our latest posts:
– Don’t believe the headlines: we can still choose to refuse single-use plastic. Yes, health and safety concerns are a top priority right now. We looked to infectious diseases experts to understand exactly what the risks are, and what we can do to refuse plastic and stay safe.
– It’s time to wake up and smell the coffee (without the plastic lid) Ideas for putting sustainability firmly back on the agenda for 2020.
THINGS TO DO
Buy our limited edition Plastic Free July reusable produce bags, made by Onya Life out of recycled plastic.These bags are long-lasting and hard wearing, and feature our official Plastic Free July logo. By buying these bags through our exclusive link we receive a small commission that goes towards our grassroots campaign, at no extra cost to you.
Download our free Plastic Free July challenge planner from our website to start choosing what plastic you’ll refuse this July. Print it out and pin it on the fridge so you don’t forget!
Don’t forget that the ‘Get involved’ section of our website has heaps of tips to help you refuse single-use plastic. Have a browse (here’s the link) and see what ideas you haven’t thought of yet!
If you need more inspiration, have a look at our Stories page to see what others are doing.
THINGS TO WATCH
In 2020, we’re creating much more video content to help you choose to refuse single-use plastic. We’re also trying a few different formats – from YouTube videos to Facebook Lives to Zoom webinars – so be sure to give us your feedback!
Our first video, ‘Reducing Plastic in the Kitchen’ with Lindsay Miles (from Treading My Own Path) is available on our official Plastic Free July YouTube channel now.