Please download the attached image as a model for deconstructing a Section 2- Responding question. Note that I’ve used Question 4 from the 2017 Semester 2 Year 12 ATAR examination. All the questions from this section are contained in the previous blog post.
The deconstruction of this question also uses:
- The ‘Glossary of Key Terms used in Questions’- Found on the SCSA website but also attached to the previous blog post.
- Appendix Tw0- Contained in the Year 12 ATAR English syllabus which is also attached to the previous blog post.
The question assumes an understanding of these SCSA-related key terms.
Things to note:
- The SCSA-related information is written in red
- The chosen text is written in blue
- The text-specific information is written in green
- The information in the top right-hand corner which refers to defining what is meant by ‘controversial’.
- The text-specific information which would need to be expanded on: you would need to refer to how the text was constructed (through specific generic conventions, visual conventions etc.) in your response.
This is an effective model for deconstructing a question. The next stage is to use this question deconstruction as a basis for producing a detailed plan.