Term 2, Week 4

Dear Parents/Carers,

I hope you are well and keeping safe. As a parent myself (of a young adult now living overseas), I’ve often asked myself this question: “What do I, as a parent, really want for my daughter?”. Over the years, the same answer has always come to mind: “I just want her to be happy”. Interestingly, that’s the same question and answer I find when discussing with parents in our school community. I am therefore assuming that this is basically what most parents want! I had read somewhere last year that Denmark had been voted as having the happiest people in the world by the OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) almost every year since 1973! Intrigued, I decided to research what could possibly be the key to their consistent secret.

This is when I came across “The Danish Way of Parenting” where the authors, Jessica Joelle Alexander and Iben Dissing Sandhal, explore what makes Danish people the “happiest people in the world”.

Whilst the key to happiness is different for everyone and the book is not meant to be “the answer”, it certainly provides some essential principles which can be very useful in our parenting approach. Whilst reading this book has provided me with the opportunity to reflect on my own parenting with my daughter (and at times think I should have or could have done better or more…), it gave me an excellent insight on how, as an educator, I can contribute in shaping “happier children” moving forward.

I look forward, in coming Blogs this term, to sharing some of “The Danish Way of Parenting” content with you and hope that you can find some of the “parenting tips” helpful or at least insightful.

Madame Pilote

Icy poles are back!

Our Captains will continue selling icy poles this Friday at Recess for 60 cents! Please note that we are changing the “sale format”. Captains will now be going to every year level courtyard to sell the icy poles every Friday at 10:50AM, just before play time. A reminder that all profits go to charity.

Scholastic Book Club

The new catalogue can be viewed online and the deadline for ordering is 18 June 2020.

Drawing Competition

Theme: Out of this World (think space, astronauts, stars, aliens, etc.)

Colouring pages are available in the Primary Forum or print your own. Printable Entry Form

1 entry per student

Option 1 – using any drawing material drawing your own original drawing

Option2 – submit a completed colouring in page

Please label your drawing clearly with your name and class.

Please place all completed entries into the entry box  located in the Primary Forum by Friday 22 May.

Please see Mrs Zuchetti in the Art Room if you have any questions.